Sunday, February 26, 2006

Late for the Sky by Jackson Browne

I picked up this album after viewing some bonus materials from the film "Almost Famous," one of my favorites. Writer/director Cameron Crowe discussed some of his favorite albums and I thought I'd give it a try.

What I soon discovered is album so moody and emotional I couldn't stop listening to it. The title track plays first and instantly sets the mood for the rest of the record. It's a powerful experience to hear the plight of this man's experience with love and a woman he knows he shouldn't be with. It's unfortunate that most of the good music in this world is about heartache and tragedy, but se la vi.

That's not to say that this album is sad on the whole, but it is rather meloncholy. What makes it intoxicating is its beautifuly written lyrics and its haunting chord structures. The songs are layered yet very accessible. It also has some really great accent guitar work.

It's not new, 1973, but it's a record that touches the individual much more than any album I've heard for the first time recently.

Grade = B+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home