Saturday, November 05, 2005

"Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" Sucks

Wow. This movie is bad. Not "Van Helsing" bad, but it's pretty poor. "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" is number 98 on AFI's Top 100 Movies list and it may have just discredited the entire list for me. Conceptually it may have seemed bold; a black man and white woman fall in love amidst social turmoil. But the execution of it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. The acting is, well, bad. The cinematogrophy is, well, bad. The narrative is, well, really bad. There's nothing commendable about this picture at all. Even as a period piece I can't imagine somebody walking out of the theater and saying to themselves "That was a fine piece of cinema." It's generally hard to displease me. And even though I like a lot of movies I also think I'm unbiased in my grading of them. But this film... blech. I can't give it an 'F,' but I can get as close as my rating system allows. D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home